Wednesday, May 4, 2016


Week #7-
            Daily life in the Czech Republic is definitely a culture shock in itself from what I was use to in home sweet Nebraska.







Spagetarna take out
            We do have a little kitchenette on our flat. It consists of a counter, microwave, stovetop, and then we each have a mini fridge in our rooms. Sometimes our flat mates cook out there, but I have yet to cook here. For every meal we either go out or just eat a small snack that we bought from Globus (The main grocery store here). My favorite two restaurants to go to are called Spagetarna and Bistro. Spagetarna is nice when you are in a hurry and it’s only a 2-minute walk away from Café 87.  They have many different kinds of spaghetti and because the restaurant has very limited sitting they will put your entrée in a Chinese box with a plastic fork for take out. It’s great when you are done with class but have stuff to go do for the evening! And Bistro is only two tram stops away from the dorms and they even have English menus! The people there are so nice and the meals they have are very reasonable for the prices. My favorite drink that I have found here is called malinovka and it’s a raspberry drink. Note to future students: bring a water bottle. I wish that I would have brought one with me because you have to pay for water almost everywhere you go here and I find that staying hydrated is one of the toughest things that I struggle with daily.
        
    As far as the weather goes we have not had very many nice days. Normally it’s been cold, windy, dreary, and cloudy with the sun poking out every now and then. The warmest days that we have had are the days that we are visiting other countries. Hopefully we will see the sun within the next couple of weeks before we have to go! Note to future students: it may be a pain to bring a thicker coat, but I really wish that I had brought one!
Malinovka
            Meeting other students is fairly easy because there are multiple events that different student groups put together and they do a good job at advertising their event. Also, we have Teresa who will post on our Facebook group created to specifically keep our group involved. The first week we were here the Erasmus students put together a welcome party and that really helped us get to know some of the students. I do believe that it was the second week we were here they set up a pub-crawl with some fun games that we all went to. Note to future students: get involved and make friends with the
Bistro with my Malinovka
other students, they can really help you!
Welcome Party
            Money issues… this is a topic that I have struggled with. The first week we were here there was a charge to my card that wasn’t suppose to be there so I had to cancel that card and have another one shipped to me. A few weeks later this happened again to my “travel” debit card and had to have another sent to me. Then, just last week when I was trying to book things for our free week my card got shut off. I seem to just have bad luck with this though because no one else has had this many issues! Note to future students: Make sure a family member has access to your bank accounts in case you need help with any issues while you are abroad.

            They daily life in Olomouc is definitely a good change from what I was use to back home and pushes me outside my comfort zone. In the little coffee shops you become a common face and feel comfortable sitting for a few hours getting your work done. 


Olomouc has been a good home away from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment